In the city of Chelyabinsk (Chelyabinsk region) from 30 to 5 July, the Para Athletics Russian Championship will be organized by the Russian Federation of sports for persons with physical impairment.
The competitions will be held in the athletics complex “Elena Elesina” and approximately 350 athletes have already applied for participation. The championship program includes running, long jump, high jump, discus throw, javelin throw, club throw and shot put.
The vice-president of RPC, 3 times champion of Paralympic Games on athletics Olga Semenova along with the honorable Vice-president of RPC, Honored coach of Russia Lev Seleznev will participate in the opening ceremony, the awarding ceremony and as viewers of the contests.
Russian athletes with physical impairments are holders of 15 world records:
• Evgeniy Shvetsov - (city of Saint Petersburg/ Republic of Mordovia) class Т36, world record in 100 meters running (11,90 sec), world record in 400 meters running (53,31 sec
• Margarita Goncharova – (city of Moscow) class Т38, world record in long jump (5,22 m);
• Andrey Vdovin - (Nizhny Novgorod Region) class Т37, world record in 200 meters running (22,59 sec), world record in 400 meters running (50,52 sec);
• Dmitriy Safronov – (Nizhny Novgorod Region) class Т35, world record in 200 meters running (24,69 sec), world record in 400 meters running (56,61 sec).
• Aleksey Kuznetsov – (Moscow Region) class F54, world record in javelin throw (29,91 m)
• Vladimir Sviridov – (Rostov Region) class F36, world record in shot put (15,34 m)
• Artem Arefiev - (Sverdlovsk Region) class Т 36, world record in 1500 meters running (4:32,89 min);
• Evgeniy Torsunov – (Perm Region) class Т36, world record in long jump (5,93 m);
• Evgeniy Malykh - (Khanty-Mansi Autonomous Area - Yugra) class F33, world record in shot put (12,36 m);
• Dmitiy Dushkin - (Khanty-Mansi Autonomous Area - Yugra) class F40 world record in shot put (10,83 m);
• Evgeniy Demin – (Khanty-Mansi Autonomous Area - Yugra) class F31, world record in club throw (30,54 m);
• Liubov Vasilieva – class Т46, world record in 800 meters running (2:12,42 min).
Within the framework of the Russian Championship, the RPC will conduct Anti-doping seminars with the participation of about 300 athletes, coaches and other specialists, including the members of the Russian national team of athletics for persons with physical impairment and other participators of the events.
Furthermore, the Russian Federation of sports for persons with physical impairment will organize an All-Russia seminar for athletic referees in para athletics.
Para athletics is a type of sport that brings the most amount of medals in the Paralympic Games program. This kind of sport was included in the program of the first Paralympic Summer Games in Rome, Italy in 1960. The athletes are competing in running, long jump, high jump, discus throw, javelin throw, club throw, shot put, athletics all-around and marathon. In 2020 Paralympic Games in Tokyo, Japan the athletes will compete for 126 sets of medals in para athletics.