On January 26-27, 2018, during the International Paralympic Committee (the IPC) Governing Board meeting, the decision to allow the participation of the Russian Paralympic athletes (30- 35 persons) at 2018 Winter Paralympic Games, was made.
During the IPC Press Conference, the IPC President Mr. Andrew Parsons positively acknowledged the work conducted by the Russian Paralympic Committee:
“Although the RPC remains suspended they have made significant progress and we have to recognize this. Russian Para athletes are now regularly tested and are amongst the most scrutinized Para athletes in the world. Under the supervision of WADA, we now have greater confidence that the anti-doping system in Russia is no longer compromised or corrupted. We have also witnessed behavioural and cultural changes by the RPC, which we hope will one day positively influence officials within the wider Russian Federation”.
“We hope this decision will be fully respected not just by the RPC but by the Paralympic Movement as a whole. We also hope that this decision will further encourage the RPC to work with its institutional partners, in particular those within Russian authorities, to meet the reinstatement criteria in full so that the next time a major sporting event takes place within the Movement, the RPC can enter its athletes under the Russian flag.”
The IPC Governing Board maintained the suspension of the RPC, because of the two remaining criteria, that are still outstanding. But, these criteria are out of the RPC competence:
- The Full reinstatement of the RUSADA by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA)
- The Provision of an official response specifically and adequately addressing the finding made by Professor McLaren.
The extended session of the RPC Government Board meeting was attended by leading officials and representatives of the Russian National Sports Federations by different form of disabilities, members of the RPC Committees and Commissions, athletes and coaches of the Russian National Teams in Paralympic Winter Sports. Among them were thirteen times Paralympic champion Rima Batalova among persons with Physical Impairments, six times Paralympic Campion in Nordic skiing and Biathlon Sergey Shilov, five times Paralympic champion in Swimming among blind athletes Andrey Strokin and three times Paralympic champion in Athletics Olga Semenova, two times Paralympic champion and two times solver and bronze medals winner Alexey Bugaev, Paralympic Champion in in Nordic skiing and Biathlon for Persons with Physical Impairments Mikhail Terentiev, Paralympic silver medal winner in curling on wheelchairs Alexander Shevchenko and many others.
The RPC Governing Board supported the statement made by the Russian National Athletes Committee in relation to their position (please see link to Committee’s decision) on participation at the Winter 2018 Paralympic Games in Korea. However, the RPC respects any decision made by athletes and asking them to treat any decision made by any other athletes with respect.
Following up the outcome of the meeting the below listed decisions approved:
- ensure the participation of Russian athletes and athletes 'personnel in the Paralympic Winter Games as neutral participants, including registration and filing of applications, registration of athletes' and athletes 'athletes' accreditation, and other organizational, technical and financial matters.
- approve the list of the delegation in the number of 79 people to participate in the Paralympic Games-2018, there are 33 athletes and 7 leading athletes.
- on February 1, 2018, send a list of delegations to participate in the Paralympic 2018 for consideration by a specially created IPC commission to determine the compliance of the members of the delegation with the "Exceptional Measures" developed by the IPC for preliminary accreditation of the IPC, the results of which will be announced in Bonn on February 13.
- approve the schedule of the final stages of preparation of Russian athletes for the Paralympic Games of 2018.
- ensure strict observance of the "Exceptional Measures" of the IPC, developed by the IPC for participation of members of the delegation in the Paralympic Games-2018.
- appoint Anderey Manzurov as the Chef de Mission of the Russian Delegation.
- appoint Ksenia Filipova (тел. 8-925-008-00-97, firstname.lastname@example.org) as the Press Attaché of the Russian Delegation.